Sunday, 23 December 2012

My 10 favourite things about Christmas

So Christmas is just around the corner and the kids have finally finished at school. The atmosphere in the house is electric with excitement. Favourite thing #1

The tree is decorated, and despite the alarming wonk, is still standing in the corner. Favourite thing #2

Everyone is a bit tired due to the aforementioned end of term excitement + lack of sunlight, so I get to laze around a bit and read, in between making hot chocolate and cutting out snowflake decorations with daughter #1. Favourite thing #3 

Walnuts were on offer in the supermarket about a month ago so I bought far too many of them and will be eating them with dates and satsumas well after Christmas has finished. Favourite thing #4

Our new wood-burning stove was installed just in time for the frosty weather, and even though the weather people now predict rain on Christmas day, I shall be lighting an aromatic fire and huddling down next to it to drink my sherry. Favourite thing #5

Mulled wine and mince pies! Favourite thing #6

I did my final - please god let it be the final - food shopping trip and bought croissants for breakfast on Christmas day. Favourite thing #7

We're hosting Christmas this year for my family and will be travelling down to Devon at the end of the week to be hosted by my parents-in-law, so double Christmas dinner! Favourite thing #8

I've managed to find some cracking presents for people this year and can't wait to hand them over Favorite thing #9

I've finally remembered to buy the Christmas Radio Times and will be going through it with my biro and marking the 'must watch' programmes. Favourite thing #10

So that's my Christmas. How about you? What are your top Christmas treats?

Whatever they are, hope you enjoy them! 

x Merry Christmas x


8 comments:

  1. Log fire, chestnuts, a nice glass of wine and a cuddle - even better when I know it's Christmas eve and too late to rush out to the shops and buy anything else! Have a great Christmas Christy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yeah! Great choices. Have a fab one Susie x

      Delete
  2. This American with deep family roots in Britain loved every minute of this post. I've been to the UK several times, but never during the Christmas holidays. It is now on my "to do" list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely come Deborah, it's wonderful here at Christmas time. It's worth it for the atmosphere alone.

      Delete
  3. Great top ten, Christy! Hmm, it's a toughie, but I think my favourite things are, the roast dinner (and definitely my mums home made stuffing and my aunties cauliflower cheese), completely overloading myself on Terry's chocolate orange, obviously a present of two :-) and just being with the people I love the most. Have a great christmas!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate orange! I can't believe I forgot that - they're especially yummy straight from the fridge. Hmm, I sense a last minute dash to the shops coming on. Merry Christmas to you too Samantha x

      Delete
  4. Ours is slightly different since it's summer. So... sun and a Christmas BBQ. Bubbly for breakfast (and we have croissants too!). Opening presents with the kids in bed. Seeing my husband's inventive present wrapping. A relaxed Christmas night at home. Then away to the beach for a week's holiday... :-)

    Have a great Christmas, Christy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a brilliant way to spend Christmas! Very jealous of your beach holiday :) Have a fantastic time x

    ReplyDelete