Tuesday, 20 November 2012

The Next Big Thing


I’ve been tagged by two very talented ladies for The Next Big Thing blog chain. The gorgeous Charlotte Phillips: whose new book is available for pre-order at Amazon (I’m waiting with eager anticipation for my copy to arrive) and the fabulous Susie Medwell who writes hot erotic romance under the pen name Zara Stoneley - you’ll definitely need a fan and a cool shower after reading her books, I did!

So, without further ado...


What is the title of your book?

Her New Worst Enemy, which is a multi-faceted title - you’ll understand me once you’ve read it, I promise. 

How did you come by the idea?

The theme of dealing with the fallout from a controlling, destructive relationship is one that I’ve had some experience with. A good friend of mine hit rock bottom when her horrible ex dumped her after submitting her to years of psychological abuse. She’s an absolute inspiration to me; she pulled herself up by her bootstraps and she’s now in a loving and positive relationship with a fabulous man. One of the other themes - dealing with a ticking body-clock - is one that a lot of my friends have had varying degrees of heartache with. The pressure on women approaching the age of thirty is phenomenal if they don't already feel settled with a partner and they want to have children. Considering what my heroine, Ellie, has to deal with in the story it’s amazing she’s as sane as she is :)

What genre does your book fall under?

It’s a sexy contemporary which falls under Crimson Romance’s Spicy line.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters if it were a movie?

I think physically, Aidan Turner is a good fit for Gideon and Carey Mulligan (with long hair) would make a fabulous Ellie.

What is a brief synopsis of your book?

Six months ago Ellie Holdsworthy’s life was all planned out - kids, wedding, happy ever after - until her boyfriend dumped her for another woman. Now her best friend, Penny - an heiress to a small fortune - looks set to run off with a gold-digger, and Ellie is determined to save her from certain doom - and fast. Unfortunately, the only person who can help is the one person she’d rather not ask...

Little does Ellie know, persuading her brother’s best friend - commitment phobic, playboy businessman, Gideon DeLancy - to hold an intervention at his beautiful Georgian manor would be the easy part. Keeping her hands off him is a whole other matter. 

Gideon doesn’t intend to fall for his friend's snarky sister, and he sure as hell doesn’t expect their weekend to develop into a full-on sex-fest. When passion takes a strangle-hold, their differences don’t seem to matter. After all, a torrid weekend affair should be the easiest thing in the world to walk away from, so why are they finding it so difficult...?

Will your book be self-published or traditional?

It will be traditionally published as an e-first book with a print on demand option by Crimson Romance.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?

My love of writing romance - especially the older brother’s best friend trope (my favourite) inspired me to write it, and characters who would not leave me alone made me finish it. 

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

I wrote a variation of the story a couple of years ago, but it sat patiently on my computer waiting to be completed while I had my third child. As it was written at two separate times, it’s a bit hard to gauge exactly how long it took. The version that became Her New Worst Enemy was written in spring this year and probably took about six weeks.

What about your book might pique your readers interest?

A hot playboy businessman, a damsel in distress, sexual tension, snarky humour and scorching hot sex; what’s not to like?


Her New Worst Enemy will be released on 7th January 2013; the perfect late Christmas present! 

I’m going to tag the fabulous Aimee Carson, who has a new story out in an anthology with some other wonderful writers, to be the next link in the chain. Over to you Aimee!

16 comments:

  1. Wow, I really love the sound of this!It sounds like something I can really relate to, and with a torrid affair thrown in as well - as you know I love reading a good sex-fest!! Will you do a guest post about it on my blog when it's released (gives me a chance to read a sneaky excerpt!)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie! I would LOVE to do a guest post on your blog. I'll make sure to find a suitably steamy excerpt to quench your appetite :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Christy! It sounds fabulous! Brother's best friend is one of my own favourite tropes. It is on my new year reading list and I am looking forward to it! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming over Charlotte. I agree, you can't beat a bit of older bro's bf action ;) I'm delighted to be on your reading list x

      Delete
  3. The story sounds wonderful, Christy! Loooove brother's best friend stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Autumn, lovely to see you here. Gideon is a particularly scrummy one too IMHO :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sound of your story. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Christy! Ah, Aidan Turner - my absolute fave. You had me swooning just at the prospect. I wish you all the best with your release. Linds :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lindsay, thanks so much for visiting. Yeah, I def wouldn't kick Aidan out of bed ;) He makes a good vampire too. Really excited about getting my hands on Blood Shadows, can't wait to find out what happens next x

    ReplyDelete
  8. You book sounds fun - congrats! I do love me some tropes I can sink my teeth into ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Xandra, thanks for popping over. I'm delighted you think the book sounds fun, I certainly had fun writing it. Tropes are great for helping you find a story you know your going to enjoy aren't they. There are certain ones - like older brother's friend - which I'm naturally drawn to over others. I wonder if a behavioral study has ever been done into why people prefer certain tropes? I'd love to read that ;)

      Delete
  9. Sounds a fantastic story, Christy! Look forward to reading it x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely to see you here Samantha, thanks for stopping by. I'm really pleased you like the sound my story. I can't wait for it to meet the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I remember this story...;-) I'm SO pleased it's found a home, Christy, because I thought it was awesome! Older brother's best friend? Drool...I've just finished writing one of those and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jackie, thanks so much for coming by, and for your lovely comments about my story. OBBF gets me every time :) Can't wait to read yours! x

    ReplyDelete